SEASONAL INTERNATIONAL RECIPE: Our Mince Beef and Onion Pie Recipe for Pie Week
Posted By: Málaga Food Guide – Gibraltar & Málaga
8th May 2023
Most people enjoy a good pie, this is one of our favourites with a secret ingredient or two and really simply to make.
For the Filling
- 250g of Ground Mince Beef
- 1 Large Onion
- Oil for Frying
- Half a Jar of Silver skin Onions
- Ground Black Pepper
- Beef Stock
- Dijon Mustard
- Worcester Sauce
- Brown Sauce
For the Pastry
- 225g plain flour
- 100g butter, diced
- pinch salt
- 1 Beaten Egg
Method for the Pastry:
1. Sift 225g plain flour into a large bowl, add 100g diced butter and rub in with your fingertips until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
2. Stir in a pinch of salt, then add 2-3 tbsp water and mix to a firm dough.
3. Knead the dough briefly and gently on a floured surface.
4. Wrap in cling film and chill while preparing the filling.
Method for the Filling:
1. Finely dice the onion and cook in a little oil on a low heat until translucent. Remove from the pan.
2. Fry the ground mince beef, until nicely browned.
3. Add the cooked onion back into the mince and season with ground black pepper.
4. Add the beef stock and stir so that the browned mince and onions are all covered.
5. Then add a good teaspoon of mustard, a good splash of Worcester Sauce and a tablespoon of brown sauce.
6. Make sure all the ingredients are all mixed, if the gravy needs thickening then add a little cornflour.
7. Now for the secret ingredient, add the silver skin onions & simmer on a low heat for about 10 mins.
8. Put the filling mixture into an ovenproof pie dish.
9. Roll out the pastry and top the pie filling.
10. Then egg wash the pastry making a small slice in the middle to allow any steam to escape.
11. Put in a preheated oven at 180c and cook for around 20 minutes or until the pie is golden brown.
Serve with mash potato and some steamed broccoli – Enjoy!
Launched in 2014 The Málaga Food Guide continues to be the Leading Gourmet's Guide celebrating the vibrant and eclectic Food & Lifestyle scene in Málaga Province - quantified by our Users, Web Traffic & Search visibility on both Google & Bing
Daily Food & Drinks News together with our latest Restaurant Reviews, Food Events, our Guest Chef´s Seasonal Recipes with Lifestyle, Health, Wealth and Motoring Features ...SALUD!